PowerVR GPU Compute Programme
OpenCL on PowerVR GPUs
Imagination has been one of the early pioneers of mobile GPU compute, being the first mobile IP vendor to achieve OpenCL conformance on its PowerVR SGX GPU IP family. To encourage wider adoption of GPU compute in mobile, Imagination is inviting GPU compute developers to enrol in our EAP (Early Access Program) initiative.
If you’re a developer and you would like to take advantage of this exciting opportunity, please complete the below registration form. Make sure to provide as much detail as you can in the ‘Project description’ section of the form; this will allow us to select a limited number of projects that are suitable for mobile use cases.
Though not a comprehensive list, here are some of the following areas of particular interest:
- Image processing: computational photography (image filters and effects, HDR imaging, noise reduction for low cost sensors, etc.), face detection and beautification (red-eye removal, smile/blink detection, etc.), augmented reality, UI control
- Audio processing: voice recognition, synthesis and control, audio effects, noise cancellation, beamforming (for directional microphones and/or speakers)
- Video processing: multi-standard video encoding/decoding (HEVC, VP9, etc.), noise reduction for low cost sensors, video filters and effects (increasing brightness in low light conditions, anti-shaking and image stabilizing, etc.)
PowerVR Series5XT GPUs
Hardkernel, a hardware supplier specialized in affordable open development platforms, has recently released the high-performance, low-cost ODROID-XU development board.
With ODROID-XU, developers can access the following applications programming interfaces (APIs):
- Full OpenGL ES 2.0 for Android and Linux and OpenGL 2.1 for Linux
- A range of near OpenGL ES 3.0 features through a series of OpenGL ES 2.0 extensions for Android and Linux
- OpenCL EP 1.1 for Linux and Android
- Renderscript and Filterscript for Android
The combination of these capabilities allows developers to create new and compelling applications for mobile devices, using the full potential of the PowerVR SGX544MP3 GPU from Imagination.
PowerVR Series6 GPUs
Platforms with PowerVR Series6 GPUs are soon to arrive. Check back frequently!
Additional resources and demos
Imagination has recently demonstrated video-rate computational photography running at Full HD (1080p). The demonstration below shows how an ‘Instagram-like’ app written for the Samsung Exynos 5410 application processor is able to leverage the PowerVR GPU to achieve significantly better performance (30-70 fps) compared to running the image processing tasks on the CPU (4-7 fps).
Register your interest
To contact us regarding your GPU compute related projects on PowerVR (OpenCL, Renderscript/Filterscript, etc.) please use the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Due to the high volume of requests, we might not be able to reply to each email individually. Please supply as much detail as possible to help us understand your enquiry and evaluate its potential.