glEnable/glDisable(GL_LIGHTING )

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  warmi 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

warmi
    Hi ..

Currently , in my code I am sorting my draw calls based on GL_BLEND, textures and vertex buffers ( in that order.) – this seems to be working pretty well.< ?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now I have to somehow incorporate GL_LIGHTING into my sort order… I am wondering if, from a performance point of view , are  glEnable(GL_LIGHTING)/glDisable(GL_LIGHTING) calls considered context switch “heavy” and should I even  bother trying to group batches based on the GL_LIGHTING state   in other words, is calling glEnable(GL_LIGHTING) … glDisable(GL_LIGHTING)  repeatedly,  going to incur significant performance hit ?

Thanks

Walter

Xmas

The cost depends on the platform and whether vertex processing is performed in hardware (i.e. VGP alongside MBX, or SGX). What is the average number of Enable/Disable(GL_LIGHTING) and other light state changes per frame without sorting?

warmi

I got it working just fine.

Having sorted my batches by blend/textures/geometry I have pretty much ordered them by their GL_LIGHTING property as well ( I have basically two basic sets of geometry – light mapped and using a single GL_LIGHT)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.