how to create GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8_OES tex ?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mkandula 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

mkandula

Hi,

I am trying to create a depth24_stencil8 texture for my framebuffer. I need it to be a texture and not render buffer.

here is the code for it

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

glGenFramebuffers(1, &preLightFBO);

glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, preLightFBO);

glGenTextures(1, &preLight_depthTex);

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, preLight_depthTex);

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8_OES, prePassBuffersWidth, prePassBuffersHeight, 0, GL_DEPTH_STENCIL_OES, GL_UNSIGNED_INT_24_8_OES, 0);

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);

glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, GL_TEXTURE_2D, preLight_depthTex, 0);

glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_STENCIL_ATTACHMENT,GL_TEXTURE_2D, preLight_depthTex, 0);

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I am getting GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_ATTACHMENT. I check with glError after glTexImage2D, I get GL_INVALID_OPERATION.

Using these params

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_DEPTH_STENCIL_OES, prePassBuffersWidth, prePassBuffersHeight, 0, GL_DEPTH_STENCIL_OES , GL_UNSIGNED_INT_24_8_OES, NULL)

I get GL_INVALID_VALUE

I am not doing anything different than whats here

http://www.khronos.org/registry/gles/extensions/OES/OES_packed_depth_stencil.txt

Can someone please help me understand why this will not work ?

Arron

Hi,

Your call to glTexImage2D has GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8_OES as <internalFormat>. According to the spec, only GL_DEPTH_STENCIL_OES is valid. GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8_OES is valid as <internalFormat> for glRenderbufferStorage.

mkandula

Hi,

Thanks for the reply !

Doing

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_DEPTH_STENCIL_OES, prePassBuffersWidth, prePassBuffersHeight, 0, GL_DEPTH_STENCIL_OES, GL_UNSIGNED_INT_24_8_OES, 0);

is giving me GL_INVALID_VALUE.

What would cause this then ?

marco

Hi,

do you need the stencil buffer at all?
    Have you checked that the OES_packed_depth_stencil externsion is supported on your device?

If you don’t need the stencil buffer, we’ve got an example in our SDK that boils down to:

//Create the shadow map texture
    glGenTextures(1, &m_uiShadowMapTexture);
    glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, m_uiShadowMapTexture);

// Create the depth texture.
    glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, m_ui32ShadowMapSize, m_ui32ShadowMapSize, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_UNSIGNED_INT, NULL);
    […]
    glGenFramebuffers(1, &m_uiFrameBufferObject);
    glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, m_uiFrameBufferObject);
    glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, GL_TEXTURE_2D, m_uiShadowMapTexture, 0);

mkandula

Hi Marco,

I have the depth component based FBO texture working and I do need the stencil bufffer for this case.

My target device is iPhone and iPad which I am sure supports the stencil buffer.

I am running the PVR SDK windows emulation. What I don’t understand is why

CPVRTgles2Ext::IsGLExtensionSupported(“GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil”) is returning false on my PC. My graphic card supports shader model 4.0 and even DX9 supports the packed depth stencil !!

marco

Hi mkandula,

the emulation only exposes extensions that are actually available on PowerVR platforms.

mkandula, what version of the SDK are you using?

mkandula

OGLES2_WINDOWS_X86EMULATION_2.08.28.0634

marco

mkandula,
    Could you download and install the most recent SDK version (2.09.29.0649) and try again?
    It should be supported in that release.

Edit : Whoops, Marco beat me to it.

GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil was introduced in the 2.9 version of VFrame so you will need to upgrade to use that extension.peter.quayle2012-02-14 13:13:53

mkandula

But can someone tell me if this feature is supported on iPad and iPhone4 atleast ?

Arron

A good way to check these things is to take a look at the GLBenchmark website.

Here is the page to the iPhone4 GL environment: http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=glpro21&D=Apple+iPhone+4&testgroup=gl’ defer async.

In this case, the iPhone4 does indeed support GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil.

You should be able to find all major consumer devices on that website.

mkandula

Wohoo !! updating sorted this issue out !!

You guys are the GODs of PVR !!

Thank you very much !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.