modifying exception_entry.S for EIC + GPIO interrupt handling

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ken 3 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ken

Hi, I’m trying to use a button(BTNC) as an interrupt source to drive the LED action. When I download the program to the board via bus blaster, it shows:
    OpenOCD

gdb

Problem: I don’t know how to fix this error. And I want to know whether the exception_entry.S file is correct or not.

Here’re some details:
    hw: Nexys4 FPGA board, BusBlaster
    sw: Vivado2014.4
    My block design: see the PDF(*.*)

design_intC_led

My C program files:

LED_irq

I am looking forward to your suggestions.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Daniel

Hi Ken,
    A simpler option than using an External Interrupt Controller as you are trying to do would be to use the default interrupt mode. Lab 10 in the MIPSfpga-Labs package does so (I’m attaching a reduced version of that lab, which corresponds to one of the activities that we did at FPL Workshop last september. It includes the guidelines, bitstream, and C program). Please, take a look at it, and let us know if this is enough for your goals or you still need to use an EIC, in which case we can try to help you further.
    Best regards
    Dani

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    1 user thanked author for this post.

Bruce

The problem with the OpenOCD startup is probably the scan_delay setting. The smaller values provide a speed optimization to the connection between the PC and Bus Blaster but can sometimes be unreliable. Change the value set in the OpenOCD config file xilinx_nexys4_mips.cfg (at the bottom) in the path ..\scripts\target to a value of 2000000 (i.e. 2 million) or greater. That changes the mode to non-optimized and hopefully will solve the connection problem.

— Bruce Ableidinger
    MIPS LLC

Ken

Hi Daniel,
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    We are trying to teach the students about the knowledge of interfaces, and we found it much easier to use those block IPs provided by Vivado and help to understand the concept of interface. Besides, we can only get access to the those resources provided here: https://community.imgtec.com/university/resources/ (already have Lab01~Lab09, Fundamentals-v.1.2) If time is permitted, I’d like to try the way you recommended. BTW, I want to know where I can get the MIPSfpga-Labs package you have mentioned.
    Best regards
    Ken

• This reply was modified 3 days, 18 hours ago by  Ken.

Daniel

Hi Ken,
    In the web page you are referring you can find the package, specifically under: Teaching&Training – MIPSfpga – English – MIPSfpga Labs v2.0. Given your teaching goals, maybe you will also find useful the third package of MIPSfpga, called MIPSfpga SoC.
    The paper entitled “MIPSfpga: using a commercial MIPS soft-core in computer architecture education” describes in detail the 3 packages of MIPSfpga: (1) MIPSfpga GSG; (2) MIPSfpga Labs; and (3) MIPSfpga SoC. If you cannot access the paper, please give me your e-mail and I’ll send it to you.
    Please let me know if you need more help.
    Best regards

Ken

Daniel,
    Thanks a lot. I have found the paper and it looks great. Last time I have got Fundamentals v.1.2 which only includes Lab01~Lab09 from this website. As a green hand studying at MIPSfpga, it really helps.
    Sincerely

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.