PBuffer usage with GLES2

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  amz 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

amz

Hi,

I want to make usage of the PBuffer surface to implement some off-screen rendering. (No render to texture). I have to use PBuffer because of some kind of abstraction, where we do not have access to the final window. The PBuffer content will copied into a bitmap container where it will finally blitted into a window screen.

I already had some problems with the GLES 1.1 emulation win32 sdk, but finally found a workaround by creating an invisible window, call eglMakeCurrent to that surface and creating afterwards a Pbuffer surface. (I was already confused, why I have to do this. But PBuffer creation without a window surface always failed).

Now I switched to the latest GLES 2.0 emulation win32 sdk (OGLES2_WINDOWS_PCEMULATION_2.06.26.0649) and the same config attrib list (only extended by the EGL_RENDERABLE_TYPE to use EGL_OPENGL_ES2_BIT) does not return a
    valid configuration, that supports PBuffer surfaces.

Here is the attribute list, I want to query:

static const EGLint configAttribs[] =    {
          EGL_BUFFER_SIZE,        32,
          EGL_RED_SIZE,           8,
          EGL_GREEN_SIZE,         8,
          EGL_BLUE_SIZE,          8,
          EGL_ALPHA_SIZE,         8,
          EGL_DEPTH_SIZE,         16,
          EGL_COLOR_BUFFER_TYPE,  EGL_RGB_BUFFER,
          EGL_STENCIL_SIZE,       EGL_DONT_CARE,
    #if defined (GLES
          EGL_RENDERABLE_TYPE,    EGL_OPENGL_ES_BIT,
    #elif defined (GLES2)
          EGL_RENDERABLE_TYPE,    EGL_OPENGL_ES2_BIT,
    #endif     
          EGL_SURFACE_TYPE,          EGL_PBUFFER_BIT | EGL_WINDOW_BIT,
          EGL_NONE
       };
    [/CODE]

Any idea whats going wrong here?
    It would be also nice to know, why I have to create a window surface before I am allowed to create a PBuffer surface with the GLES 1.1 sdk.

Some additional infos, I am using an ATI Radeon HD 5450 and use only the emulation sdks at the moment.

Regards

[CODE]
       static const EGLint configAttribs[] =    {
          EGL_BUFFER_SIZE,        32,
          EGL_RED_SIZE,           8,
          EGL_GREEN_SIZE,         8,
          EGL_BLUE_SIZE,          8,
          EGL_ALPHA_SIZE,         8,
          EGL_DEPTH_SIZE,         16,
          EGL_COLOR_BUFFER_TYPE,  EGL_RGB_BUFFER,
          EGL_STENCIL_SIZE,       EGL_DONT_CARE,
    #if defined (GLES
          EGL_RENDERABLE_TYPE,    EGL_OPENGL_ES_BIT,
    #elif defined (GLES2)
          EGL_RENDERABLE_TYPE,    EGL_OPENGL_ES2_BIT,
    #endif     
          EGL_SURFACE_TYPE,          EGL_PBUFFER_BIT | EGL_WINDOW_BIT,
          EGL_NONE
       };
    [/CODE]

Any idea whats going wrong here?
    It would be also nice to know, why I have to create a window surface before I am allowed to create a PBuffer surface with the GLES 1.1 sdk.

Some additional infos, I am using an ATI Radeon HD 5450 and use only the emulation sdks at the moment.

Regards

amz

Push..
    No comments to that problem?
    At least some statement would be nice. I am currently a little bit lost with the sdk.
    Thanks in advance

Gordon

I’m afraid the engineer who works on PC emulation has been unable to look at this yet and I can’t really shed much light on these issues. However, I don’t believe that PBuffers are supported in PC emulation for OpenGL ES 2.0 at this time.

What device platform are you targetting and what OS? Is there a specific reason that you can’t use FBOs?
    Gordon2010-07-06 11:15:50

amz

Thanks for the response.

I wanted to be sure, that I am not doing something wrong with PBuffers or with my EGL queries, because PBuffers were available with the GLES 1.1 emulation sdk, but not with the GLES 2.0 sdk.

I have a running workaround for PC emulation, so I am happe for now.

The decision for the target platform is not done yet, but I wanted to use the emulation SDK as a development plattform for a first prototyp.

I wanted to prevent the FBO usage currently, because I am not so familiar with them. I will try to change that soon.

Regards

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.