PVRGeoPOD Data Formats

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Gordon 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

shindigg

I’d like to use shorts for my vertex data in my iPhone application. By importing obj file vertices with a multiplier, I was able to convert floats to shorts to store in a VBO, which increased the framerate by
    5-10%. I’d prefer to use the POD file format as it optimizes the vertices
    order and has a lot more capabilities.

When I select short as the data format in the
    PVRGeoPOD exporter, the model is distorted, as if all the floats are simply rounded off. Is there anyway to make this work? Should I simply scale my Maya model to a degree where the rounding no longer matters and then scale down when rendering?

Thanks.

Gordon

Sadly there’s no built-in scaling for PODs so the strategy you describe is probably the best approach right now.

Please post again if you have further questions.

warmi

That’s what I do … I wrote a POD exporter for Lightwave and when exporting vertex data as shorts I simply allow for a custom scaling factor.

You could then include this scaling factor as pfAnimScale in a POD node your model is attached to.

warmi2009-04-28 05:41:33

Gordon

This sounds like a reasonable solution for the moment. We’ve discussed adding better provision for techniques like this in our tools, hopefully something should come of this soon.

warmi: I’m interested in your Lightwave POD exporter – how featured is it? Do you have plans to distribute it?

warmi

Nowhere near as featured as your exporters for other platforms 🙂

< ?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Right now it handles exporting static models from the Lightwave modeler and animated meshes from layout and it supports only interleaved GL_TRIANGLE/GL_STRIP, float/short combinations.

It has no support for scene graphcs etc … in other words a completely custom job tailored for our engine.

In any case, Lightwave  (as it is known right now) is in the process of being replaced with a completely new codebase (Lightwave core)  which changes everything, invalidating all existing plugins, SDK APIs etc… they are really going back to the basics for the first time since I guess the early 90s.

In other words, the current plugin is an evolutionary dead-end.

Gordon

Still, it’s impressive that you got it working and it’s interesting for us that someone has created such a thing for their toolchain.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.