Connecting to OpenOCD busblaster over Ethernet?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  alastair 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Kaushal

Is it possible to run OpenOCD on one machine and use Codescape to connect to OpenOCD over ethernet network?

Thanks
    Kaushal

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  alastair.
    • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  alastair.

alastair

Yes this is possible. I have a BusBlaster plugged into my computer an a colleague has been using it from his computer.
    The same Codescape Console discoverprobes() command should find the probe if it is on the same subnet and may work over a LAN, depending on the LAN switches/routers in use.

Kaushal

I have downloaded Openocd 0.10.0.3 from Imagination website and have a license for Codescape Debugger GUI version 8.5.6. Can you please confirm if this is the correct way of setting up Openocd and Codescape?

1) Run Openocd on PC where the Busblaster is connect via USB
    openocd -f mips_busblaster.cfg

2) Run DAConfig GUI on another PC and add DA-net target. Both PCs are on same subnet. DA-net fails to find Busblaster. It then asks for specific IP address. I added the IP address of PC on which Openocd is running but it still fails to find Busblaster.

Does it require a specific port number? I think Openocd open port 4444 by default.

Thanks
    Kaushal

alastair

Adding DA-net via DAConfig will not connect to the Busblaster; that will only work for connection to a DA-net probe.
    There are instructions for using OpenOCD here
    https://community.imgtec.com/developers/mips/tools/mips-debug-and-trace-probes/bus-blaster
    http://cdn2.imgtec.com/mips-downloads/tools/MIPS-Debug-OpenOCD-with-Bus-Blaster–Getting-Started-Guide.1.1.23.External.pdf

If you want to connect to your busblaster from Codescape Debugger, start CD, right-click on the ‘Targets’ pane and select the ‘Busblaster’ icon. Any busblasters on your LAN should be listed on a drop-down list.

Kaushal

I have tried steps mentioned in the startup guide but Codescape and unable to detect BusBlaster. As I mentioned, Busblaster is on the same subnet as Codescape PC.

Is there a way I can manually give the IP address and port number in Codescape?

Thanks
    Kaushal

alastair

Have you tried the ‘Add target’ option from Codescape debugger?

Kaushal

I have tried Add target option. But BusBlaster does not show up over the network. Hence I was asking if there any way to manually set IP address and port. Or if you can tell me the default port it searches, I can start Openocd with that port.

Thanks
    Kaushal

alastair

Are you running on Windows or Linux and are the drivers for the busblaster installed?

Kaushal

I am running Openocd on Linux. The drivers are installed and I can debug using Openocd commands in Linux. So I don’t see any issue with the hardware. I can even do telnet to Openocd from remote PC and debug.

Can you tell me how exactly Codescape discovers Busblaster over the network so that I can check if there are any network issues. As I said, I am able to connect to Openocd remotely over network.

Thanks
    Kaushal

alastair

Sorry I was mistaken – the ‘busblaster’ icon in ‘Add Target’ will only list busblasters directly connected to your computer.
    Try the ‘Nearby’ option on the Add target dialog. That option should list all probes (including busblasters) on your LAN. Select the busblaster from the list to connect.

Kaushal

Can you please confirm Openocd configuration file(s) to be used for setting up Openocd + Codescape over network? Currently, I am invoking Openocd using

openocd -f mips_busblaster.cfg

Are there any extra configuration file(s) and command line options to be used?

Thanks
    Kaushal

Kaushal

Further to my previous e-mail, using mips_busblaster.cfg file, I am able to detect the Busblaster probe and Openocd is able to get ID codes from the JTAG chain.

Kaushal

alastair

I’ve reviewed this with my colleagues and I’m afraid I was wrong in stating that it was possible to connect to a busblaster over a LAN with Codescape Debugger.

Codescape Debugger can only connect to a busblaster if it is on the same computer, connected to the computer by USB cable.

Kaushal

Is this true for Codescape console as well? Because in the first reply you had mentioned Codescape console can discover Busblaster over network using discoverprobe() call.

Thanks
    Kaushal

alastair

Yes, it applies to Codescapeconsole as well, this uses the same underlying mechanism as Codescape Debugger.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.