Stability issue with new board

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Hugh 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Michel

I have created a Gentoo Linux using the latest kernel 3.18.3. It works well except that I have random crashes.
    Sometimes it can take 8-12 hours sometimes more, sometime less. When that happens one red activity light is steady on and I can still see the green light flashing on the ethernet connector. HDMI is still on, Sometimes the ssh connection is lost sometimes not. It can happen during compilations or when nothing is running except the ssh connection.

Again this morning after compiling around 100 files out of 257 it died. I reset and restarted and it died half way thru compiling one file. I reset again and it has been working for a couple of hours without issues.

I have the latest board which I received early October.

Is that a hardware issue or issue with the kernel? I use the official 3.18.3 for the ci20. I see that debian has 3.18.8, where is the source code for that? Is it more stable?

Michel

ZubairLK

Hi Michel,

I understand you have the v2 square Ci20 board?

This is unfortunate. The source code for the kernel is available here https://github.com/MIPS/CI20_linux

Do you have a usb to serial port available to connect to the board?

This can show a debug log perhaps when the board hangs. A kernel oops should be generated in usual cases.

Regards,
    ZubairLK

Michel

I just came back from Québec after my mother’s funeral.

I will check that in the next few days.
    When it would hang, the ethernet seemed to be still active.

ZubairLK

Hi Michel,

Please accept our heartfelt condolences on the loss of your mother.

There is no hurry on our end.

Regards,
    ZubairLK

Michel

I had the USB serial connected. When the board crashes there is no message, it just dies with a red LED on. There seem to be activity on the ethernet but I do not see any messages so the activity must be from the router.

Do you think that my board is faulty or that it could be an issue with the kernel? I use the latest kernel for the creator.

I have gentoo installed on an SD Card of 32G 48MB/s from San Disk.

ZubairLK

Hi Michel,

Apologies for the late response.

Does your board hang with Debian 8 images as well?

A common issue is power supply. Please use a 5v 2A supply.

Regards,
    ZubairLK

Michel

I had given up on it and put on a shelf in my lab. It is unreliable since it dies too often.
    I used the 2A Samsung supply that came with my Samsung telephone.

Does your board have issues with Ultra Plus Sandisk? The reason I am asking is that when I tried the Fedora version that is available, it eventually partly trashed the disk. I would not dare try Debian on it. On an Odroid ARM board I flashed the latest Debian, this was on a 64G micro SD Ultra Plus Sandisk and when it tried to expand the partition it destroyed the micro SD card. Fortunately I got a replacement from Best Buy with a 64G Extreme Plus (Valued at $150). I then tried again but this time I didn’t let it try to expand the partition but expanded it with gparted on my PC under Gentoo. I then tried to boot it would stop when trying to initialize Debian, right after it finished loading the kernel. U-Boot had no problem reading the disk but not Debian.

I have had Gentoo and Arch on those kind of SD cards for months with no issue. I have SuSE’s latest on an micro SD Ultra Sandisk and it works fine.

I will test with Debian that is on the internal flash to see if I get the same results and will let you know.

Michel

Michel

It took about 15 minutes before the board crashed on debian. Debian with kernel 3.18.3-ci20-1

Note that the crashes on Gentoo were random. Sometimes the board could be up for a couple of days and sometimes just a few minutes or an hour or two. From what I saw so far with Debian the behavior is likely to be similar.

Note that when I first had the crashes I assumed that it could be a heat problem so I added a heatsink, it still crashed.

Michel

ZubairLK

I apologize for the issues you are facing.

Looks like you happen to have a bad board.

Could you please send an RMA request to Sales.Support@imgtec.com. And we will replace it.

Please put a link to this post in the email as well.

Regards,
    ZubairLK

Michel

I wrote to that address several weeks ago, I was asked about the order information.
    I gave the information and still haven’t received an RMA

Michel

ZubairLK

Hi Michel,

Apologies for the delay. I’ll ask around internally.

Regards,
    ZubairLK

Michel

I got an Email a few weeks after your message asking me for the postal address to send me something to put on the box that I would return. I sent the information requested but never got got anything in the mail.

Michel

Hugh

Hi Michel,
    Apologies for the ongoing delay here.
    We’ve instructed our warehouse to ship you a replacement board today, so hopefully you’ll receive this within a day or two.
    A new RMA returns label was sent to you yesterday, for returning the dead board to us for investigation.
    Many thanks for your patience with this issue.
    Regards
    Hugh

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
The forum ‘Creator Platforms’ is closed to new topics and replies.