Using Camera

This topic contains 18 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dgu 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

hellboy

Hi,

I have a rectangle rendered. I want to move the camera along the line cutting the rectangle into half, say 0.1 units per frame. I went through the IntroducingPOD sample program. The problem is that the program uses CPVRTModelPOD class and hence has functions to get the world matrices etc. I have all the vertex data and index data stored in 2D arrays. I don’t know how to start the navigation of camera. Can someone help ?

dgu

Hi

everything is in the sample about camera ,did you change the value of vFrom over the time ? (maybe a nice as a plus Lerp function will make it )

regards
    david

dgu

all the beginner samples are superbe 🙂 i am still looking at it everyday 🙂

dgu

some nice easing function for your camera : http://gizma.com/easing/

hellboy

The function for navigation is not a problem for me. The problem is that I have prepared the “View” and the “Projection” matrices as :

PVRTMat4 ViewMatrix = PVRTMat4::LookAtRH(vFrom, vTo, vUp);

PVRTMat4 ProjectionMatrix = PVRTMat4::PerspectiveFovRH(DEG2RAD(fFOV), AspectRatio, CameraNear, CameraFar, PVRTMat4::OGL, rotate);

PVRTMat4 ViewProjectionMatrix = ProjectionMatrix * ViewMatrix;

But I don’t know what the “Model” matrix means and how should it be prepared.

Additionally, I have passed the matrix as :

int i32Location = glGetUniformLocation(m_uiProgramObject, “myPMVMatrix”);

glUniformMatrix4fv(i32Location, 1, GL_FALSE, ViewProjectionMatrix.ptr());

Is this correct ?

Joe Davis

Hi,

View & Projection matrices describe the camera position & how it sees the scene. The Model matrix (a.k.a. World matrix) describes your objects position in the scene, for example if it should be translated from it’s default position (0,0,0).

hellboy

So, the matrix which is passed through glUniformMatrix4fv() is (P*M*V) or (P*V) ? Where should the model matrix be translated to from its default position ?

dgu

Hello

mTrans = PVRTMat4::Translation (x,y,z) for instance and
    mMVP = m_mProjection * mTrans * m_mView;

of course the view is define by

m_mView = PVRTMat4::LookAtRH(vFrom, vTo, vUp);

the model-view-projection matrix is pass to the shader to transform the vertices
    example :
    glUniformMatrix4fv(Uniforms[j].nLocation, 1, GL_FALSE, mMVP.f);
    regards
    david

hellboy

Thanks David, but I can’t understand the idea behind translating the model matrix in the first place. Why is it needed ? Sorry for being so noob.

What is the difference between mMVP.f and mMVP.ptr() ?

dgu

No worry man, from the doc

f= Array of float
    ptr=pointer to an array of float or element

hellboy

And about the model matrix ?

dgu

define your model view matrix as

PVRTMat4 mMVP;
    mMVP = m_mProjection * mTrans * m_mView;

The SDK provide a lot of sample about it , i am sure you will find the answer there as well

regards
    david
    ps
    http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/beginners-tutorials/tutorial-3-matrices/#The_Model_matrix

hellboy

No, that’s not my question. I asked why is the translation (mTrans = PVRTMat4::Translation (x,y,z)) required ?

dgu

in the demo your were looking at
    you saw
    // Pass the model-view-projection matrix (MVP) to the shader to transform the vertices

PVRTMat4 mModelView, mMVP;
    mModelView = mView * mWorld;
    mMVP = mProjection * mModelView;
    glUniformMatrix4fv(m_ShaderProgram.uiMVPMatrixLoc, 1, GL_FALSE, mMVP.f);

like is said before as well you could change your view model only by changing the vFrom value depending where you camera should be.

the translation that i introduce was to make life easier to move the camera as you like but it s not mandatory..a simple matrix calculation here

hellboy

Some more questions.

1. How is mWorld defined ?

2. Will there be as many model matrices as there are meshes in the scene ? If yes, what will the model matrix be for a 3D box ?

3. Will the values of x,y,z in Translation(x,y,z) be the coordinates of vFrom ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.