YAMON fails to complete COREFPGA V6 boot on MIPS MALTA-R motherboard.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Irfan 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Irfan

Hi all,
    I have a MIPS MALTA-R motherboard and COREFPGA6A and 6B stacked on it with interaptiv 4c2v bitstream in the FPGA.
    When I press the power ON button, or the RESET button on the MALTA-R board, I see a “RAM_HILO” message on the alpha numeric display. This message remains stuck there and I do not get any YAMON output on the serial emulator program either.
    What could possibly be going wrong with the boot procedure here? Why does YAMON fail to complete initialization?

Can anyone here help me with this issue.

Thanks
    Irfan

Kurt
    Admin

Hi Irfan,

My name is Kurt Martin, from Imagination Technologies.

I am assuming that this board must have worked OK in the past, and has now started failing for some reason. Please correct me if that is wrong.

Do you have the MD00008 Yamon User’s Manual? Chapter 9 of that manual contains a table that describes the diagnostics messages written to the ASCII LED display during startup of Yamon. As you may have already guessed, the RAM_HILO message is associated with a memory test. Based on the fact that the board gets stuck displaying this message, my first guess is that something has happened to your memory.

What I would try to do first is just press the reset button several times, and/or cycle power several times. Just to see if that possibly makes the problem go away.

Next, I would try re-seating the RAM in the memory socket on the CoreFPGA6 board.

You can also try re-programming the Yamon code and the bitfile onto the Malta board, in case they have become corrupted somehow.

Finally, you can try replacing the RAM in the memory socket of the CoreFPGA6 board, if you have an equivalent memory available.

Where are you located? If you send me your contact information in a private message, I can try to call you.

Regards,

Kurt

Irfan

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for your prompt response. Re-seating the DRAM DIMM module has resolved this issue. I can now get YAMON to complete boot and able to see serial output on serial emulator program.

Thanks
    Irfan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.